Our Blog

This blog spot is primarily a photo/memory album for our family. It also serves as a way for us to share what is going on in our lives with our friends and family that don't see us on a regular basis. Ashley, Worth, Ellie, Emma, and Mack

Jan 14, 2018

You lose some, you win some

This week started off with Worth and I traveling to Atlanta to see the Dawgs play in the National Championship against Alabama. Well, as well all know now, the Dawgs lost. I can say that with pride, however, because it was a well fought for game. They only beat us by 3 points and that was in overtime. I honestly feel like we were the better team, they just busted through for a touchdown at the last minute. The game, thankfully, was worth watching because our experience getting into the game was beyond bad.

We left our hotel (which was 1 block away) with some friends of ours at 6:00pm. We thought this was a great idea in order to go ahead and get into the stadium and get something to eat, then get our minds right and get to our seats to watch the game. Well, at 8:00pm (game time was 8:15pm) we finally passed through the gates. Worth and I, along  with 77,000 other fans were in a mob for 2 hours trying to enter the building. At one point, I honestly thought I might be crushed. I prayed the whole time that we would make it through and Worth wouldn't come to blows with other obnoxious fans around us. (Not saying Worth wasn't being obnoxious.😩) Anyway, we realized the problem was that the secret service was there scanning people as they came through since President Trump was making an appearance at the game. They were taking 30-45 seconds per person to check, and there were at least 2000 standing at our gate pushing to get in. They then proceeded to stop all entry for 45 minutes as the president entered the stadium. It was pouring down rain and cold. Y'all, I'm just saying, this claustrophobic female would have lost it if it had been 98 degree summer weather, I'm thankful it was cold, it made being slammed into back/neck of the man/woman/child in front of me a tad bit more bearable. I'm also thankful MY children weren't there. I would have gotten out of line if they had been and waited to enter the game after kick off if that had been the case. No child needed to be in that or around the behavior and language I was experiencing.

I felt really sorry for the secret service workers. They were having to check EVERYTHING. They had to wand everyone front and back, checked pockets, and even went through all the lipsticks in my bag after inspecting my iPhone. This is all while being screamed at by fans (my husband being one of those,) AL and UGA fans fighting each other all around, and people pushing constantly forward trying to just bust through. When I say I almost lost it, that is an understatement. I definitely won't be attending a big game like that again. I aged 20 years in 2 hours. It was awful. And, despite reports by the BENZ stadium, I can honestly say, it was NOT due to the rain.

On a lighter note, this weekend we ended our week by seeing both girls play in their first basketball games. Both of their teams won, and they both played so well. Emma surprised us by proving to be a very aggressive ball player! I couldn't stop laughing because I was just so shocked at how she was just getting in there and ripping the ball away from the other team almost every time they had it. She's the shortest one on the team, so she definitely needs to work on her shooting, but she definitely has her defense, dribbling, and passing skills down. Ellie did well also, she has improved so much since last year!

This was the view from our hotel room at the Omni in Atlanta before the game. It was rainy and cold. 

I got to meet up with some college friends before the game for about an hour. It's always good to see these girls. If nothing else, this made the trip absolutely worth it. From Left: Anna, Lauren, Kathryn, me. 

We finally made it in!

The man that caused the back up outside. It was nice, however, to see a president at a college football game. 

The Dawgs coming onto the field. 

A sideways picture taken by a drunk person sitting near us. I tried to post my panoramic picture on here of the stadium from our seats, but it won't load for whatever reason. 

Ellie in action Saturday morning, she's #13. I didn't get many good pictures of her. I was so into the beginning of the game that I forgot to pull my cameral out until the end. 



Final score of Ellie's game. It was a nail biter. 

Emma's team getting a pre game pep talk from their coach. Emma is #3 

Defense in their first play

Emma got the ball!

And she got the ball again. 

My pictures are a blur of her running down the court with the ball the entire game. The girl she kept passing to to shoot missed almost every shot, but finally got a couple at the end of the game for the win. 




Final score at Emma's game. 

No comments: